Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

"The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves, like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays"



Happy, happy Father’s day! Like any girl, I am indebted to my father for so very much: a home, food, clothing, and security. Yet his influence is not limited to, nor highlighted, in these material possessions. It is the examples he sets, the never ending stream of motivation he produces, and his huge, open and loving heart that have had the greatest impact on me. He is the main man; my friend, coach, cheerleader, and best critic. I owe my self-confidence, courage, and ability to bait a hook to him. He has taught me valuable lessons just by making me a huge part of his life. So, I just wanted to thank him, for all he has given me, and for helping me become the young woman that I am. So Dad, thank you. Thank you for showing me that everyone deserves forgiveness, that the best thing to do with a fish once you’ve caught it is to throw it back, and, despite my lack of athletic ability, (and age) always asking if I want to go play catch in the backyard.
Thank you for:
Bruce Springsteen: For blasting The Boss in your truck when I was just a wee squirt, and introducing me to one of your influencers. As I’ve grown, Springsteen has come to influence me, and you really were the medium through which that happened. (And as I write this, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out just came on the radio!) And thanks for having the most comprehensive collection of his work, I don’t think I’m missing a version of a single song.
Telling me to “Shake it off.” Whether it was a scraped knee, or the painful sting of hurt feelings, you were the first person to not just console me, but help me move and get on with life. Your “shake off the pain” mentality has followed me throughout life and is exercised in all that I do.
Teaching me that healthy is beautiful: For being my coach and health guru. You taught me to nurture genuine self-esteem and to push myself physically. Thanks for always dragging me to the gym, because as you always say, “You just feel better after a good work out! You work out, you shower, and you can accomplish anything. It helps you clear your mind, focus on your work and kill the stress of your day.”
Dad, you are absolutely right. Thank you for pushing me to workout because you know the positive effects it has on one’s emotional and mental health, and not for ever letting me get sucked into the harsh expectations the media creates for young girls. Thank you for wanting to go on bike rides with me. Whether its around town on a summer evening, or down the shore on an extreme ride, you are up for anything. I realize how lucky I am, that I have a father who loves to spend time with his daughters.
Thanks for making me fresh squeezed juice before we hit the gym, and thank you for those delicious Jersey tomatoes you grow in your garden. Thanks for growing a garden. Thanks for teaching me the benefits of fresh fruit and vegetables. Thanks for stressing a healthy lifestyle—it has impacted me more than you could ever come to realize, and is a major contributor of my self-confidence.
Making your own rules. Playing any board or card game with you is both hysterical and frustrating, because you are always under the impression there are no rules. Remember the time we played Monopoly (it was the first and last) and you were being your ridiculous self?
“Hey, Alex, I have a business proposition for you—it’s a really big deal, you know, you can’t pass this up! It’s SO cool.”
“Mm, yes Dad, what is it?”
“Now prepare yourself for the deal of a lifetime. I’m going to sell you my top hat!”
“WHAT?? You mean your token piece? You can’t sell your marker, and why would I even buy that?! Dad, WHAT are you talking about?!”
“Sure I can, this is MONOPOLY, I can sell whatever I want! Don’t you know anything about this game?!”
I refused to play Monopoly with you ever again. You did however, teach me to question the rules, and to ask “why not?”
For not being that frightening father at my t-ball games. You know, the one who would get red in the face with anger as he stormed around yelling and throwing things because his son did not run fast enough. Thanks for being easy going. And knowing that the point is to have fun.
Teaching me how to fish. For raising a daughter who, to this day, is definitely not afraid of ripping a worm in two and wrapping it around a hook. You raised a daughter who understands that hard work is often messy, frustrating, and not always fun, yet without it, success is impossible. Thank you for teaching me how to take the fish off the hook without hurting it or myself. I think this is where I got lucky, that I’m blessed with a dad who taught me to how to handle success, to avoid the harmful fins of jealousy, ego, and superiority. That, in life, it is not just about getting the things we never thought we could, but holding on to them. It is preserving valuable relationships, maneuvering through life without trying to cause each other harm. It is the way you handle your successes that defines who you really are. And of course, thank you for always throwing the fish back (sometimes kissing it first). Because of you, I know that true strength comes from letting go and that giving back is the greatest reward.
Feeding the deer. You hunt. Yet everyday, at 6pm you go out to leave crack corn for the deer. You get all excited when they come by, flip on the outside deck light, and just watch them. But you’ll take a day off of work to go hunting. So thanks for teaching me life is about contradiction.
For teaching me that “You can’t always get what you want.”
Always stressing the importance of family. That no matter what I do, who I chose to be friends with or date, or where I decide to live, my family will always love and support me. Always. No matter what. Thank you for your (MY) big, amazing Italian family. They are the rock I lean on, and where I extract my strength and courage.
Not being an asshole. Ever. Seriously. They say girls date and marry guys like their father (man do I have high expectations). Luckily for me, I’m not attracted to assholes, because I haven’t grown up with one. I don’t put up with being disrespected, because I know there are guys out there who treat women right.
HOWEVER
Making mistakes sometimes. Thanks for saying some less than intelligent things at quite possibly the worst of times. Thanks for embarrassing me from time to time. You made me realize NO guy is perfect, not even you, and guys do and say stupid things sometimes. And they don’t mean them. It just happens. Cut ‘em some slack.
Dad, I know every girl thinks her father is the best one out there, but you truly are the best guy. It’s true. Everyone loves Peter, everyone knows what a great guy he is, how much he loves his family, and that he would do anything for the ones he loves. You make everyone laugh and feel comfortable. You have the biggest heart, out of anyone I have ever met.
They say (Ok, so they = John Mayer) daughters love like their fathers do. Thank you. For teaching me that love matters more than anything else. And that everyone deserves it. Just like everyone deserves forgiveness. You always joke that you “Shoulda had boys!” In fact, remember how you knew I was going to be a boy? You and mom didn’t even check, you just knew. Peter Pisauro IV. Guess again, papa! No son for you. And Joelle is a girl. So, no son for you!
But you know, in my biased opinion, I don’t think you were meant to have boys. I think daughters are reserved for the best of guys, because it is the best of guys who deserve daughters. Yeah, you could have roughhoused with boys a bit more, but daughters feel their father’s influence more. Dad, thank you, for nurturing within me the greatest self-confidence and self-respect. Thank you for teaching me to love the way you do. I could not be more proud of the part of me that is a reflection of you and your love.


No comments:

Post a Comment