Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Excuses, Excuses

Usually, I lack an excuse for my lack of consistent blogging. That is not the case as of late, as I am busy creating a new blog. You know, one of those professional ones, the kind where you archive all of your work and your grown up opinions about things that matter. I know, I hate it too.

However, had to do it. I will provide a link for it once it's finally up and running, but do not visit if you are looking to read something of color and sparkle.

As much as I love journalism, I do not always find it the most intriguing of topics to focus a blog around. I think journalism itself is an interest in others and culture. Thus this blog showcases those interests, not journalism as a subject. Yes, I read the NYT daily, but I don't really think anyone would find my opinion of articles very interesting. It is not that my opinions are not intelligent, or presented well. Rather, just dull when I reflect on budget cuts or politics. Now, wouldn't you rather read about gay glitter bombs? I sure would!

If, however, you find journalism to be a fascinating art form and crucial component in a functioning democracy, then please pay it a visit upon its completion! I will discuss my internship, what I'm learning because of it, my work, and my interest in journalism overall.

I think the creation of a "professional" blog will propel the success of this one, because it is removing a lot of my guilt. I created this blog as a means to publish my thoughts, yet the pompous bubble of that damn J-school makes me feel as though this blog is not serious enough. I struggled with how to incorporate more "mature" (ahem, dull) content into this blog. I decided to just separate the two, and create a whole new blog. Now that I have an outlet to showcase my resume and intelligent opinions, I no longer feel ashamed that this blog is fun and full of sparkle. Now I'm free to embrace said fun and sparkle, you know, when I choose to blog at all.

Basically:

NEW blog = NYT
This blog= People magazine

People might not be as respected or intelligent as the NYT, but let's face it, more people want to read it... which ACTUALLY is a key point in my first post: "Should journalists give the people what they want, or offer them what they should want? " (If you could careless then please stay here and soak up my thoughts on TARGET $1 daisies, the rarity of true friends, and Marc Jacobs 2011 resort collection!)





No comments:

Post a Comment