Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

"Leave all your love and your longing behind. You can't carry it with you if you want to survive. The dog days are over, the dog days are done..."


I know it's really cliche and typical for me to be quoting a song that plays on the commercial for "Eat, Pray, Love" but I can't help it. I'm absolutely obsessed with it and I thought Florence & The Machine's performance at the VMA's was fabulous. Just like her voice, the song is distinct, yet so simple and it always puts me in a better mood without fail. Call me run-of-the mill or a victim of popular pop, but I'll be the first to happily admit it's one of my absolute favorite songs Because the dog days really are over for me.

I’m feeling my inner hippie coming out. I’ve just been in a really good mood, maybe because I’ve finally realized that being happy is independent of your current situation, and is really a conscious choice that you can make everyday regardless of you’re actual circumstances. I feel in control… because I’m letting so much go. I have to continue to chose to be happy, otherwise I never will be—after all I have too high of expectations (as I think most everyone does), absolutely everything would need to go perfectly, positively and always in my favor in order to make me happy. And that is inconceivable, but I can choose to be happy. I can remember that it’s my choice how I want to view the world and how I want the people in it to view me.

And OK, yes I did have a good week this past week, but honestly I am realizing the my “flying free” mantra is probably responsible for my constant state of serenity. Sure I’ve gotten extremely frustrated with outside factors, but overall I’m quite pleased with myself at the moment. I genuinely believe I’ve adopted the entire “mind over matter” concept and its been embedded into my psyche. And that seems to be making me a lot stronger than those around me. I understand that college is stressful, believe me, but at the same time, it isn’t the end of the world. Putting things into perspective is such a nifty tool! Did I forget to take an online geology quiz two weeks ago? Yes. Did I want to hit myself for forgetting? Absolutely. Did I want to scream when I saw a zero out of twenty? Uh-huh. Am I beyond pissed because I knew this information like I know my own birth date and social security number? YES. Is there anything I can do about this? NOPE. And you know what? Life goes on. I have to focus my energy in such a variety of places that I no longer have the time (or rather choose to have the time) to dwell on the negative. I just move on.

It’s frustrating to be surrounded by so many people who can’t put their lives into perspective. Everything trivial becomes the biggest deal, and everyone else needs to know the saga that is his or her life. I’m truly sorry if you’re having a bad day, or week, or month and I’m extremely empathetic, but don’t be surprised if my mood doesn’t drop in sync with yours. Misery loves company, but I hate misery. So I apology if I’m still smiling and pleased with my life when you feel like yours is falling to bits and pieces. It isn’t an insult or anything of that sort. I just feel like I have so much going for me, why should I waste my time being anything but happy? I’m 19. I’m fortunate enough to be attending a University, I’m a part of the Greek system and I don’t need for anything. Why wouldn’t I be perpetually happy? Instead of searching for something to make me happy, why don’t I just appreciate all that I’ve already been blessed with?

And I do. This past week, actually this past month, has been living proof that I’m the one creating my happiness. When I choose to have a good attitude, everything else seems to shine a bit brighter. Sure, I will no doubt encounter days when I am anything but happy, and I’m allowed, but for the most part I’m retaining my happiness regardless of what life throws at me. And I’m completely over feeling guilty for enjoying my life. Lately I feel like I’m being punished for being happy, and that’s ludicrous. If others want to choose to focus on the negative and depressing possibilities of the future, well then fine. But don’t take it out on me.

I feel very content and focused; even as I wonder everyday “What the hell am I doing here?” “What am I going to do with my life” and “What’s the point?” Simply because I’ve chosen to banish any limiting thoughts and feelings, I’ve been propelled into happiness and I’ve been flying. And the view from up here is too good to ever give up.



We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

If you find serenity and happiness, people may be jealous - Be happy anyway.” Mother Teresa.

Stop seeking in vain to arrange circumstances that will make you happy. Simply choose to be happy, and your circumstances start to line up around that happiness.”


“Your happiness is your choice. Choose it any time you wish.”

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am beginning to learn that only I can make the decision to be happy. My current situation has been difficult to get used to, and I know I am not there yet. I may never be, but I have to make the effort to be happy or everything is going to be for nothing. I don't want to get all deep and sappy, but I just thought I'd let you know that I can relate. :]

    ReplyDelete